4427 S Robertson Street,New Orleans,Louisiana,98402,United States of America
This vital, patient-centered role provides education and guidance to DaVita patients about health insurance and the implications of different insurance options. This position helps patients understand their insurance options and make informed employment and insurance decisions. The Insurance Counselor will help alleviate the stress that dialysis patients often experience in navigating complicated insurance options and employment decisions while also managing their health care needs.
To be successful, the Insurance Counselor must have a passion for customer service and the ability to build trust and rapport with patients and teammates. Teammates in this role will gain expertise in motivational interviewing as well as expert knowledge of commercial and government health insurance benefits, financial assistance programs, and work leave options.
Candidate must be located in the New Orleans or surrounding area.
90% remote work; 10% travel to local facilities to provide education and guidance to DaVita patients about health insurance is required
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive. The scope of the Insurance Counselor is primarily supporting patients who have existing commercial insurance coverage or who are uninsured.
- Conducts patient insurance education while operating within established compliance parameters of the company
- Identifies and effectively communicates opportunities to better the insurance status of the patient to help reduce or alleviate financial risk and burden
- Provides information to patients to help them find and/or secure options for insurance coverage and other financial assistance programs as necessary
- Provides a high-level of customer service to patients across multiple DaVita Dialysis facilities to ensure educational needs are met and to ensure patient questions or issues are addressed effectively
- Completes insurance assessments/evaluations for patients to accurately document patient education sessions
- Acts as a liaison between patients, facility teammates, billing office and the corporate office to resolve patient insurance issues and/or concerns
- Builds and maintains relationships with field partners (e.g. Home Program Departments, Facility Administrators, Social Workers, Administrative Assistants etc.) to ensure seamless patient support
- Works closely with supervisor/manager to meet objectives, deadlines, and reporting/measurement requirements as they pertain to patient education.
- Provides monthly reporting and analysis on key metrics related to patient education and advocacy as well as actively participates in monthly operations reviews on assigned patient portfolio
- Seeks to find opportunities for continued process improvement and reviews ideas with team and operational leadership
- Attends team meetings, phone conferences, and trainings as needed; may assist with onboarding and training of new teammates or other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, TRAINING, OR QUALIFICATIONS
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 or a medical/religious exemption is required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- 90% remote work; 10% travel to local facilities education and guidance to DaVita patients about health insurance is required
- This role requires basic computer skills, high speed internet (minimum of 40 GB) and a private workspace, and secure transportation to DaVita facilities to perform the duties of the job
- Minimum of two (1) years' experience working with Medicare and Medicaid insurance as well as commercial insurance plans and benefits (PPO, HMO, POS, EPO, Indemnity) strongly preferred
- Minimum of two (1) years' experience in a healthcare organization working with clinical staff and patients preferred
- Intermediate computer skills and proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required Power Point preferred
- Bilingual/Spanish Speaking strongly preferred
At DaVita, we strive to be a community first and a company second. We want all teammates to experience DaVita as "a place where I belong." Our goal is to embed Diversity & Belonging into everything we do in our Village, so that it becomes part of who we are. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. As such, individuals are recruited, hired, assigned and promoted without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.
Salary/ Wage Range
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate's qualifications, skills, competencies and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. DaVita offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k match, healthcare coverage and a broad range of other benefits. Learn more at
DaVita is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. As such, DaVita makes hiring decisions solely on the basis of qualifications and experience, and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.